Victoria Eye Center is proud to offer our cataract patients options when it comes to Intraocular Lenses (IOLs). Traditional cataract surgery involves replacing the lens with a Monofocal IOL, which can provide clear vision but not correct other pre-existing conditions, such as presbyopia or astigmatism.
We offer the following Lifestyle Lens options for cataract surgery:
- AcrySof® ReSTOR IOL to correct presbyopia (the need for reading glasses)
- AcrySof® Toric IOL to correct astigmatism
Watch the informational video below to learn more about choosing the right lens.
AcrySof® ReSTOR® IOL Lens
The AcrySof® ReSTOR® IOL allows patients to see clearly at all distances without bifocals or reading glasses. In a clinical study, 80% of patients receiving the ReSTOR® IOL reported that they never wear glasses for any activities and nearly 94% of patients said they would have the IOL implanted again, if given the choice.
Certain types of patients may not be candidates for ReSTOR:
- Patients who are hypercritical with unrealistic expectations
- Patients with excessive complaints about their prescription
- Patients who drive at night for a living or whose occupations or hobbies depend on good night vision
- Patients who are amateur or commercial airline pilots
- Patients who have lifelong complaints about glare
- Patients who are happy wearing glasses
- Patients who want guarantees on surgical outcomes
AcrySof® Toric IOL Lens
Advances in IOL technology now provide a reliable and effective option for patients with astigmatism. In the past, patients with astigmatism had to either have corneal refractive surgery (LASIK, PRK or Limbal Relaxation Incisions) after lens implant surgery or remain dependent on glasses or contacts.
Astigmatism is caused by the cornea being more curved in one direction than the other, much like a football. Toric IOLs are specially shaped IOLs designed to offset the imbalance created by the irregular shape of the cornea.
Once implanted and aligned inside the eye, they stay fixed in place thereby eliminating pre-existing astigmatism.
Lifestyle IOLs are considered “premium,” which means there will be additional costs associated with these lenses. However, the benefits of being able to see without glasses after cataract surgery make this a very attractive option for many of our cataract patients. Schedule your Cataract Consultation today to learn more about your IOL options.