Eye Exams for Heart Health?
- Were born with excellent vision
- Have had blade-free LASIK in Victoria to get 20/20 vision
In reality, eye exams are important for everyone…not just those with poor vision. Eye exams can detect “silent” vision problems like glaucoma or cataracts in Victoria; surprisingly most people don’t realize that eye exams can also detect early signs of heart disease, diabetes and more.
February is American Heart Month, so it’s the perfect time to make your heart health a priority by scheduling an eye exam. By examining the blood vessels in the retina, your eye doctor may be able to predict increased risk for heart issues. Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in the United States.
11 Tips to Promote Heart Health
- Stop smoking.
- Reach and sustain a healthy body weight.
- Get your cholesterol level checked. Adjust your diet or take medications to lower your levels, if needed.
- Get your blood pressure checked regularly.
- If you are diabetic, monitor your blood sugar levels every day.
- Eat a healthy diet of fresh, non-processed foods.
- Exercise regularly. The Surgeon General recommends that adults aim for a minimum of 150 minutes/week of moderate intensity activities.
- Consume alcohol in moderation.
- Follow your doctor’s orders. If you need medication to control your cholesterol, blood pressure, diabetes or other conditions, make sure you are taking the proper doses at the proper times.
- Don’t ignore warning signs of heart problems such as dizziness, irregular heartbeat, chest pain or discomfort, shortness of breath, fatigue, nausea, sweating, etc. Contact your doctor immediately.
- Make doctor visits a priority. Yearly check-ups will help you stay proactive with your overall health.
Heart problems may also be identified during Consultations for certain vision procedures, such as LASIK. Dr. Boozalis at Victoria Eye Center takes your medical history, current physical health, eye characteristics and eye health into consideration before recommending Victoria blade-free LASIK. This is for the safety of patients and to improve the chances for excellent vision outcomes.
Call 800-833-0234 to learn more about eye health, to schedule an eye exam or to schedule a free LASIK Consultation.