Protect Your Eyes from Winter Rays
Your eyes don’t know what season it is.
Whether it’s winter, spring, summer or fall, your eyes need protection from the sun’s harmful rays.
Most people recognize the need for sunglasses during warmer months and in warmer climates. However, when the temperature starts to dip, people often assume that eye protection is no longer necessary (or even silly).
Why Winter Shades are Important
- The sun is positioned at a lower angle in the sky during the winter, so the rays may affect the eyes more directly
- Fresh snow reflects 80% of the sun’s UV rays, causing extreme glare (dangerous when driving, skiing, etc.)
- Dry eye symptoms can worsen during dry winter months; wraparound sunglasses or sports goggles may help
- Overexposure to harmful UV rays can lead to cataracts and macular degeneration in Victoria
- Polarized, anti-reflective sunglasses can block 100% of UV radiation (ask your eye doctor for recommendations)
Another Reason for LASIK
If you are nearsighted or have astigmatism, you will need corrective lenses to see distant objects clearly; that means investing in a good pair of prescription sunglasses to wear all year long. The other option is to wear contact lenses with over-the-counter sunglasses. However, dry, cold winter air can cause eye irritations for contact wearers.
- More cost effective (in the long run the one-time cost of LASIK in Cuero is cheaper than the ongoing expense of replacing and maintaining glasses and contacts)
- More fashionable (because of the vast choices that exist)
- More comfortable (no trying to fit goggles over glasses)
Wear Sunglasses All Year
Back in 1984, Corey Hart hit the music charts with his hit, “Sunglasses at Night.”
While Mr. Hart may have worn his sunglasses in the evening hours, to stress the importance of protecting your eyes against daytime winter rays, we’d change the song to “I wear my sunglasses all year…”
Sport your cool sunglasses all year long. And if you don’t want to invest in prescription sunglasses, consider having Hallettsville LASIK at Victoria Eye Center. Dr. Boozalis offers free LASIK Consultations to ensure you are a good candidate for the procedure and answer all questions you may have. Contact Victoria Eye Center today to arrange your appointment: 361-578-0234 or victoriaeyecenter.com.